Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The "O" Word

Call it a character flaw of mine...I get hung up on words. I'm hoping that may help to explain why this quote, made by Angelina Jolie's obstetrician, Dr. Michael Sussman, rubbed me the wrong way:

"She (Jolie) is a patient who was totally obedient, very calm, very kind."

"Totally obedient?" Ugh!! I suppose that a doctor might see total obedience as a positive thing, but that quote just reeks of paternalism. Maybe it's just me, but total obedience doesn't sound like a positive thing in the least, unless you're talking about your dog.

"Totally obedient." I guess Angelina Jolie isn't quite the badass, fight-the-power Momma the press has made her out to be. Or maybe it's just me and my tendency to question authority.

"Totally obedient." Man, I hope no one ever uses that phrase to describe me. You know, unless I had a lobotomy or something.

No comments: